Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time for the Fiddlin' Bear gathering over Labor Day weekend

Wow, it's the 15th year for the gathering at Lake Genero, near Hamlin, PA. This gathering is very close to my heart, with many memories of the more expert folks taking time to explain and show me ways to improve my jamming skills. When I first started going, I'd lug all my music books along with me. Didn't take me too long to look around and notice that no one else was reading dots. Well, maybe a few others had books, but the folks that were my role models seemed to catch on to the tunes, even the tunes they said they didn't know well, without a book in sight. So, don't be shy. All skill levels will find some batch of folks to play with. And, for those of you who like that sort of thing, fires are allowed.

Oh, and I meant to say for those of you who are new to this blog, there's a link over to the right for 'Festival Recordings'. You can have a listen to some of the tunes that I've recorded at Lake Genero over the past few years. Probably a good time for me to stand up on my soap box: the time that you invest in recording and then listening to the tunes yields a good bit of return in improving your ear playing. Listen. Listen. Listen. The notes and bowing will come.

No comments: