Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Fiddle-L

A few posts back, when I was describing how I researched the tune Chattanooga, I mentioned that I had trouble viewing Fiddle-L with the Mac Safari browser. Well, looks like they've done some work on it and now it views just fine.

Besides correcting that impression, I'd like to put another good word in for that list-serve. All the posts are archived and searchable. There is a wealth of information and opinion there. I found it very helpful when I was first starting out. And, I still do. The other thing that I like about it is the folks who join in the discussions. There's a big variety of styles, but there's a particular clarity concerning old time music, playing by ear, and jamming. There are upwards of 500 people who subscribe (no charge.)

There are a number of options so you can tailor your views to suit your likings. For example, you can get individual posts or you can have the posts in a digest format, so you only get one email per day. This is what I do. That way, I don't have to clutter up my mailbox with (sometimes) many posts per day. Once a day, I get a collected batch of posts and I rather quickly scan through the posts to zero in on the topics that I'm interested in.

There are so many resources on the web to use when looking for things to learn about fiddling. Add Fiddle-L to your list to see if it is something that will help you along at your particular stage of progress.

No comments: